We’re familiar with these facts:
- Brown Pelicans are saltwater birds, sticking to the coasts.
- It’s only the male bird that sings.
- Birds that migrate fly north in the spring and south in the fall.
- Great Blue Herons eat aquatic insects, crustaceans, amphibians (such as frogs) and fish.
- Males have the ornate feathers, while females tend to be drab and camouflaged.
We think we know. We think we understand. We’ve observed, conducted studies, collected facts. We think we have it right. And then Mother Nature confounds us.